Are bullies led by TV role models?

11:40 Unknown 0 Comments

I often wonder why bullies do what they do, what it is in their minds which makes them think 'hey, I know I'll go beat some kid up'. Therefore, it makes me think, where they get the ideas from, could it be that bullies learn to be a bully through watching people on telly?

We are told from a early age to not copy from others. However, how easy can that be if every time you turn on a film about school kids you see the main character being bullied by either prettier girls who run the school. Or a group of kids who are seen as 'cool' but go around bullying younger students. It's a wonder their aren't more bullies with them being portrayed in a almost positive way. Don't get me wrong, in the end the underdog will win and the bullied child will go above and beyond to prove they aren't going to be bullied anymore. Yet the bullies still seem cool, they always look beautiful and sexy, its not until 3/4 through the films when the main character has their make over and suddenly grows confidence to stand up to the bullies.

Why doesn't this happen in real life? Is it because we don't like the idea of waiting 3/4 of our school life to grow confidence have a makeover and stand up to the bullies. Would we more rather be loved/feared by everyone in school and bully others than just make peace with all.

It is something which has got me stumped for years and I've never really understood it. I just can't fathom how a bully is born. So, when in most situations my mind fails I seek the great mind of the internet cue Mr Google: Question: How are bullies created?
Ask Men (1): Self esteem problems, Personality problems and anger management difficulties.
Psychology today (2): growing up without experience leading to social skill

So although that is only two web searches, I found that they supported - kind of - what I believed and that is that bullies are led by social cues around them and their own inner self esteem.


Links I used:
(1) http://uk.askmen.com/entertainment/special_feature_3700/3762_how-do-bullies-become-bullies.html
(2) http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/bullying

0 comments: